1. First impressions count: refurbish the front door, repaint it and make sure the letterbox, doorknob and number are shiny smart. Hang a mirror or two in the hall; it creates a feeling of space and light.
2. Clean, organise, de-clutter and neutralise. This enables buyers to imagine their own belongings in your property. If you know an interior designer, get them to give a few pointers.
3. Keep your garden green. Tidy up, get the lawn in shape, fix that rotten old fence panel, cut back the overhanging shrubs and put a bit of colour in. Hanging baskets or pots look great, and remember, they can move with you.
4. Make sure your central heating is up to date and recently serviced. If you haven’t got gas central heating – install it!
5. Energy efficiency – make sure you get the best rating you can, switch over to energy-efficient light bulbs and don’t forget the big one: double glazing is a must for all buyers.
6. The kitchen genuinely is the heart of the home. It must be spotless, with clear worktops. Keep it bright and modern; if yours is dated, replace it within a sensible budget. Buyers like branded and integrated appliances. Never underestimate the selling power of a well-planned kitchen.
7. You may need to splash out a bit in the bathroom in more ways than one. A new white suite doesn’t cost a fortune and can add perceived value. Go for smart taps and accessories, as they are what people notice. Polish shower doors and blitz that horrid North London lime scale. Can you redesign to create an extra en-suite?
8. Consider a conservatory. These are a low cost option for extending and can draw the garden into the home.
9. Don’t over-extend. Know the limit for the road; five bedrooms and one bathroom might well be better planned as four bedrooms and two bathrooms.
10. Know your target market. Who is your most likely buyer? A family, or a young professional? That could determine how you present a spare room. Remember, every room must have a purpose and or function.
Finally, choose the right Estate Agent, one that not only works hard, but thinks smart too. Your home is likely to be your greatest financial investment, so don’t leave it to chance. Call Chamberlains Estates today on 020 8366 3551